Last night I was trying to watch a movie, streamed from my desktop to laptop, plugged into the large tv in my living room. Well I spent probably 2 hours messing about with cables and various connector types to no avail. Each setup either had some kind of feedback/sound interferance .. or just plain didnt work.
In the end had to settle for video going from S-video out into the front of the tv.. and sound playing from the laptop speakers. Not really ideal.
So decided today to browse around for a media/dvd player that could stream from a network.
After alot of searching and reading reviews, I have found what I think is probably the best one on the market, at a very affordable price.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/43464/art/kiss/dp-1504-dvd-divx-player-z.html
This version has an internal 40gig hard drive so it is possible to transfer via ftp (or included software) movie files onto the unit, take it somewhere.. and have a large library of films to watch. It has a pccard slot, so you are able to stream directly from a wireless network.
Just thought I would post the information here becuase i am sure somone would be interested in doing somethign similar. At such a great price its hard not to want one.
Oh there is a version without hard drive for only £110
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/126734/art/kiss/dp-1500-dvd-divx-player-z.html
Once I recieve myn, i'll be sure to post my findings :)
In the end had to settle for video going from S-video out into the front of the tv.. and sound playing from the laptop speakers. Not really ideal.
So decided today to browse around for a media/dvd player that could stream from a network.
After alot of searching and reading reviews, I have found what I think is probably the best one on the market, at a very affordable price.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/43464/art/kiss/dp-1504-dvd-divx-player-z.html
This version has an internal 40gig hard drive so it is possible to transfer via ftp (or included software) movie files onto the unit, take it somewhere.. and have a large library of films to watch. It has a pccard slot, so you are able to stream directly from a wireless network.
Just thought I would post the information here becuase i am sure somone would be interested in doing somethign similar. At such a great price its hard not to want one.
Oh there is a version without hard drive for only £110
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/126734/art/kiss/dp-1500-dvd-divx-player-z.html
Once I recieve myn, i'll be sure to post my findings :)